We didn't go to Disney: How To Have an Epic Family Vacation in Florida Anyway
disney isn't the only vacation answer
You don't have to go to Disney World to have an epic Family Vacation in Florida. Truth be told, we've been to Disney twice, and though it was definitely EPIC, it was equally expensive. $5K later, I've got amazing memories, but an empty wallet. Keeping this in mind I sought out to find a new, less expensive vacation spot to take the kids on; one that would keep them talking about it for months, but not set us back. We landed in the same state, but on the other side of it. Pensacola, Florida was the perfect destination for family fun, and easier on the wallet by a sandy mile. As you are considering EPIC vacation spots for your family this Summer, add this #vacaygoals wonder to your list.
Why Pensacola works for family fun
UM, THE BEACH- Located on the Gulf side of Florida, Pensacola gives you that tropical feel with out leaving the states. Situated on white sandy beaches with turquoise waters, you are instantly transformed into vacation mode. Think jet-skis, dolphin tours and sunset cruises. Or just lay out at the beach while drinking a daquiri (also know as this parents preferred activity).
IF YOU'RE FEELING WATERLOGGED-We are lucky enough to have a friend that lives in the area, and she gave us a few pointers on where to take the kids. Besides the beach, you can experience the following attractions:
- National Aviation Museum (on a Naval Air Force base)
- Art Museum
- Historic Pensacola
- Children's Museum...just to name a few :)
WHY THIS WORKS FOR YOUR BUDGET- The best part: You can purchase a combo ticket to visit several attractions under one low price. We purchased tickets to visit the Historic District in downtown Pensacola that included tickets to most of the above attractions for free.
what you should wear while visiting pensacola this summer
The average high is 88 degrees during the Summer months in Pensacola. That means breezy dresses, breezy tops and pretty much breezy everything. Here's a few ideas of what to pack:
- Floral Maxi Dresses: perfect for day to night, or to work as a cover up on the beach
- Linen shirts, pants, dresses: this fabric is light and airy for those super hot days
- An array of sandals: flat ones for the beach, heeled ones for romantic beachfront dining
- Tennis shoes or trainers: for running on the beach or visiting Historic Pensacola...there's a lot to see...and walk!
- Straw hat: protect yourself from the sun, but still look cute!
- Sunglasses: for the perfect vacay selfie!
- Beach bag: because.....duh!
I kind of took my own advice on this trip. Take a look at a few photos from our latest adventures in Pensacola. Happy Travels!